Five Star Security Training provides the following Nationally Reconised Training modules in order to obtain a Queensland security license:
NOTE FROM 1 JANUARY 2015 STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE A UNIQUE STUDENT IDENTIFICATION NUMBER TO UNDERTAKE TRAINING. SEE THE IFORMATION ON THE SERVICES PAGE UNDER "FACT SHEET USI" ON HOW TO OBTAIN A USI.
Security Guard (unarmed) and Crowd Controller
The units of competency that are required to obtain this category of licence are from the CPP20218 Certificate II in Security Operations listed below:
- CPPSEC2101 APPLY EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION SKILLS TO MAINTAIN SECURITY
- CPPSEC2102 APPLY LEGAL AND PROCEDURAL REQUIREMENTS TO WORK EFFECTIVELY WITHIN A SECURITY TEAM
- CPPSEC2103 APPLY WHS, EMERGENCY RESPONSE AND EVACUATION PROCEDURES TO MAINTAIN SECURITY
- CPPSEC2104 APPLY RISK ASSESSMENTS TO SELECT AND CARRY OUT RESPONSE TO SECURITY RISK SITUATIONS
- CPPSEC2105 PROVIDE QUALITY SERVICES TO A RANGE OF SECURITY CLIENTS
- CPPSEC2106 PROTECT SELF AND OTHERS USING BASIC DEFENSIVE TECHNIQUES
- CPPSEC2107 PATROL PREMISES TO MONITOR PROPERTY AND MAINTAIN SECURITY
- CPPSEC2108 SCREEN PEOPLE, PERSONAL EFFECTS AND ITEMS TO MAINTAIN SECURITY
- CPPSEC2109 MONITOR AND CONTROL ACCESS AND EXIT OF PERSONS AND VEHICLES FROM PREMISES
- CPPSEC2110 MONITOR AND CONTROL INDIVIDUAL AND CROWD BEHAVIOUR TO MAINTAIN SECURITY
- CPPSEC2111 APPLY SECURITY PROCEDURES TO MANAGE INTOXICATED PERSONS
- CPPSEC2112 APPLY SECURITY PROCEDURES TO REMOVE PERSONS FROM PREMISES
- CPPSEC2113 ESCORT AND PROTECRT PERSONS AND VALUABLES
- HLTAID003 PROVIDE FIRST AID
ONGOING TRAINING FOR CROWD CONTROLLERS AND BODYGUARDS
You will need to complete ongoing training every three years
The modules for ongoing training for crowd controllers are:
CPPSEC3101 Manage conflict and security risks through negotiation
CPPSEC3121 Control persons using empty hand techniques
HLTAID006 Provide advanced first aid
It’s also a requirement that during the currency of a first aid certificate you have completed a CPR component that is refreshed every 12 months. The CPR module is:
- HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
Prospective students should contact Five Star Security Training to check eligibility of any first aid certificate they hold. If a student does not hold this qualification Five Star Security Training will provide the first aid training required as part of the training course.
Note: Some criminal convictions will prevent a person obtaining a security licence. The Office of Fair Trading should be contacted on 13 13 04 for details
Some of the matters that will or may prevent a person obtaining a security license are:
- A disqualifying conviction which is less than 10 years old or an out of state offence that would be a disqualifying offence if committed in Queensland.
- A conviction greater than ten years old where the sentence imposed was 30 months imprisonment or greater.
- Having being bankrupt or had your estate assigned for the benefit of your creditors.
- Had a security license refused, suspended or cancelled under the Security Providers Act 1993. The Invasion of Privacy Act 1971 or a similar act of any state, territory or country.
- If you are currently facing charges for a disqualifying offence as defined in Section 3 of the Security Providers Act 1993 that has/has not been determined by the court.
- If you have been convicted of an offence against the Industrial Relations Act 1999 relating to under payment of award wages.
- If you have contravened an order of the Industrial Commission or of the Industrial Magistrates Court to pay wages.
- If you have any unrecorded findings of guilt within the past five years for a disqualifying offence as defined in the Security Providers Act 1993.
- Disqualifying offences include some offences against the Criminal Code Act, The Weapons Act 1990 which are punishable by imprisonment of one year or more, and the Drugs Misuse Act which are punishable by imprisonment of one year or more and offences against the Police Services Act 1990 sections 10.19(b), (c), (d), (e) or (f).
Prospective students can contact www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/security-industry-licence-types.htm for more information on licensing requirements.
All the training is adaptable to the students involved. Training is delivered by a number of methods including classroom/face to face training and self paced /flexible learning which will be supplemented by phone and email support.
Self paced learning is particularly suitable to people who do not live on the Gold Coast or who have difficulty attending face to face training due to other commitments or travel. Security courses in rural areas or main centres can be very expensive compared with our course costs. Self paced /flexible learning requires that you complete part of the course at home by way of studying the resource manual and completing the workbook. This is followed by training and assessment at our training rooms; this requires you to demonstrate to your trainer that you have an understanding of what was covered in your self paced study.
Studying for your Security Courses by way of self paced/flexible learning will help you overcome many of the barriers associated with in-house type courses such as travelling to a venue which can be considerable, taking time off work, feeling uncomfortable studying with other students who may be in a different age group and saving on those hidden costs such as transport and parking. Therefore it provides all students with the ability to study in a way that best suits them including their other commitments or comprehension abilities.
Students who reside away from the Gold Coast and who are unable to pick up the training material personally can obtain the training material using these options
- The resource manual and workbook will be emailed on payment of course fees. Students will need access to a printer to print off the workbooks as they need to be completed by handwriting the answers.
- The resource manual and workbook can be posted which will incur an additional cost for the postage
The content was delivered well and was interesting. I was able to work it around my own commitments which made things easier. Very good course.Tony M
Excellent. It was good to be able to complete the modules/workbook in my own time and then attend the assessments when it suited me. Communication was also very good. Stress free and a good way to complete the course. Thanks.James B
Great Course, well presented. Thanks heaps.Ken H
Very good, Relevant study material. Course covered good scope of all security work.Sandra N.
The trainer couched me through the course as it was being presented to ensure I understood. I had questions and the trainer took the time to discuss the points.Paul M
Great course better than most of the other ones out there. Mike has a lot of experience with security and you learn a lot from actual situations he has been in, thanks for everything.Zoheb P
Wasn’t as stressful as I expected, as I had an excellent trainer and lots of help from the resources manual.Julien D